BIOSECURITY MEASURES FOR YOUR GAMEFARM
The following Biosecurity Measures are as follows:
- Traffic control for both people and animals
- Cleaning and Disinfection
- Farm Isolation
- Rodent and Insect Control
1. TRAFFIC CONTROL FOR BOTH PEOPLE AND ANIMALS
• Limit the number of visitors to the farm.
• Log visitors and indicate last farm visited.
• Farm must be fenced.
• Hang a biosecurity sign or NO AUTHORIZED ENTRY sign at the gate.
• Doors to each house may be kept locked to reduced unauthorized entry.
• Visit farms or houses in order from youngest to oldest flock.
• Visit sick flock last.
2. CLEANING AND DISINFECTION
• Clean and disinfect houses before arrival of new batch of birds.
• Remove unnecessary equipment inside the farm.
• Farm workers should shower and wear clean clothes to work.
• Make a habit of hand washing.
• Footwear should be dipped in the footbath between each house
• No sharing of farm equipment.
• Disinfect as early as possibly after houses are cleared.
• Use approved disinfection program
• Be systematic and thorough in disinfecting buildings, feed bodega, workers quarters, area around the buildings, water circuits, vectors – where insects and rodents are.
• Check quality of water.
3. FARM ISOLATION
• Assign a holding area for incoming birds and quarantine.
• Fence the perimeter of the farm.
• Do not use open bodies of water such as a pond or lake as a source.
• Farm should be 0.5km radius away from another farm.
4. RODENT AND INSECT CONTROL
• Miminize animal activity around the poultry houses. This include pets, wild animals, and other farm animals.
• No mixing of animal species.
• Minimize feed spillage.
• Set up rodent tarps in necessary.
• Protect against predators.
• The administration of antigenic material (a vaccine) to stimulate an individual’s immune system to develop adaptive immunity to a pathogen.
• An ideal way of protecting the flock from viral and some bacterial diseases.